top of page
Smiling man surrounded by older students

Dyslexia Information

White Rose Dyslexia Centre Ltd in Sheffield aims to provide you with accurate and reliable dyslexia information. If you need further support, please get in touch.

Info Hub: Welcome

What is the difference between a diagnostic assessment and a screening test?

A diagnostic assessment is an in-depth series of tests which will provide a definitive confirmation as to whether an individual is dyslexic.  Whereas the dyslexia screening test we use is a paper-based analysis of strengths and weaknesses to determine whether an individual is presenting with a profile which may indicate a specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia. 

Does my child need to have a diagnosis of dyslexia to access support mechanisms in school?

Not at all.  Many schools do conduct initial screening tests to clarify challenges and then identify needs.  Alternatively, we can conduct a dyslexia screening test which will provide some clarification as to the nature of difficulties.  We would recommend that you discuss concerns with school in the first instance.

At what age can you conduct testing for Dyslexia/Dyscalculia?

For screening tests, the minimum age is 6 ½ years and for diagnostic assessments, we would recommend a child being at least 8 years old.

Info Hub: Facilities

Frequently Asked Questions

My child is in Year 10 and I think they need extra time in their exams, can you do the testing to prove that?

Whilst we do conduct exam access arrangements testing, there are regulations in place which state that this falls within the remit of the school when they have identified a need for the testing.  It is not therefore something parents should be arranging themselves, as schools are not encouraged to accept privately commissioned exam concession testing unless they have an existing arrangement with us to conduct the testing, which some schools and colleges do have.

I am intending to study at university, what testing do I need?

To access support mechanisms via Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) then you will require a full diagnostic assessment.  You should initially approach the university where you have a confirmed place to ask whether they have arrangements in place to conduct the testing.  If they don’t then you will need to arrange and pay for a diagnostic assessment from a specialist assessor who holds a current and valid Assessment and Practising Certificate (APC).   We do have assessors qualified to conduct those assessments, alternatively you can search for an assessor on the PATOSS website:

Is there funding from the NHS to pay for screening tests or diagnostic assessments?

No.  Dyslexia is not a clinical condition, so it is not something that is arranged and/or paid for by the NHS.

Do you conduct assessments for Autism (ASD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), or Developmental Co-ordination Disorder (DCD)(also known as Dyspraxia)

No.  We are specialists in dyslexia and dyscalculia.  These will fall under the remit of other specialists and concerns should be discussed with school and/or GP.  Useful websites for information, advice and guidance are:


National Autistic Society (

Signs of autism - NHS (



Dyspraxia Foundation - 30th Anniversary | Dyspraxia/DCD Awareness



Home - ADHD Foundation : ADHD Foundation

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) - NHS (

Do you conduct workplace needs assessments to advise on reasonable adjustments at work?

Yes, we do.  We conduct workplace needs assessments for a variety of organisations, including the NHS, City Councils, Fire Brigade, Home Office etc.  You can call us for advice and support. There is also advice and support available via Access to Work: Access to Work: get support if you have a disability or health condition: What Access to Work is - GOV.UK (

Are there organisations that can offer me advice and support about the difficulties my child is having in school?

We are happy to provide initial advice, where we can, but as well as your child’s school, then there are local organisations which are set up to provide support to parents of children and young people (aged 0-25) with special educational needs and/or disabilities. 

They are:













There is also a national organisation: Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (known as IPSEA) which can provide independent legally based information, advice, and support. Their website also contains downloadable legal guides and resources for parents and carers.

A smiling woman
A smiling man
Info Hub: Image

Talk to us

We welcome enquiries from individuals with dyslexia, dyscalculia and related conditions; we’re also keen to offer expert advice and support to educators, employers and family members to help you provide more effective dyslexia support to others.

Image by Quino Al

Get in touch

If you require further dyslexia information or support, please contact the team at White Rose Dyslexia Centre Ltd in Sheffield today. Complete the form below for a quick response.

Info Hub: Contact

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page